How can I export a PST file in FTK Central?
Only data from a PST processed in Forensic Tools can be exported to PST. Items that were processed individually (ie. EML, MSG, etc) cannot be assembled into a PST for export.
Use one of the following methods to prepare your environment to export email to PST. This should only need to be completed once.
Method 1: Aspose
- Navigate to the Forensic Tools BIN installation folder (typically "[drive]:\Program Files\AccessData\Forensic Tools\[version]\bin").
- Open ADG.WebLabSelfHost.exe.config in a text editor.
- Find the key UseAsposeForPSTExport and change its value to true.
<add key="UseAsposeForPSTExport" value="true" />
- Save and close the file.
- Recycle the AccessData Exterro Self Host Service.
- OST is supported only to create a new PST, but will not reduce it.
- NSF will not be supported with ASPOSE. It will continue to use the Lotus Notes client to reduce NSF.
- This does not work on an ANSI formatted PST (outlook 97-2002). If application encounters such a PST, it will not attempt to reduce it, but rather fall back to new PST option.
Method 2: Outlook/MAPI
- Install Outlook 2016 Professional Plus on the application server.
- Open a command prompt.
- Change your current directory to the Forensic Tools bin folder (typically "[drive]:\Program Files\AccessData\Forensic Tools\[version]\bin")
- Issue the following command:
There are three methods to exporting a PST file:
- Export New PST
- Export Reduced PST
- Export SMART PST
If the export contains a PST file, this option creates a new PST for each PST file and adds only the messages (with their attachments) that are being exported.
This option creates a copy of each original PST and then removes all the messages that are not being exported.This option is faster if the majority of the emails within the original PST are being exported. However, this method may take much longer to complete if the majority of the emails within a PST are not being exported.
If the export contains a PST file, the application will examine each PST to be exported and determine the faster method between creating a new or reduced PST. If there are multiple PSTs being exported, the best method will be determined for each PST based on whether the majority of email families will or will not be exported.
If you have a 10 GB PST file and are exporting 500 MB. This requires removing 9.5 GB of data from the original. New PST would be faster.
If you have a 10 GB PST file and are exporting 9.5 GB. This requires removing 500 MB of data from the original. Reduced PST would be faster.