May also see "An unspecified error occurred adding evidence"
Cause: This means that either the "Accessdata Evidence Processing Engine" (EPE) is not installed, or that it was installed as a Distributed Processing Engine (it may still be listed as Evidence Processing Engine in Add/Remove Programs), or that the Processing Engine is corrupt.
- If you have previously opened an older version of FTK, then check to see if ProcessingHost.exe is running in the Task manager. If it is, right click and end the process, then try opening the version of FTK you want to run. All EPE's use the same process name, so it might be trying to connect to the EPE that is still running, rather than the one it needs.
- Make sure the AccessData Evidence Processing Engine is installed, and that it is the appropriate version for your FTK version. If it is not, install it from the FTK installation media. Here is a help article with the processing engine versions. FTK and Processing Engine version numbers
- If the correct version of the "Evidence Processing Engine" is already installed, then uninstall the Evidence Processing Engine and reinstall it using the defaults, making sure not to check the box that will install it as a Distributed Processing Engine (Distributed Processing Engine should not be installed on the FTK box).
- Remove all versions of the .NET Framework and reinstall Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (or the latest version of the .NET Framework)
- Verify that .NET 3.5 is installed (it may need to be enabled manually on Windows Server. See Installing the .NET Framework 3.5 on Windows 8.1, 10, or Server 2012R2)
- Uninstall and reinstall Python through the PostgreSQL database installation step of the FTK installation process.
- Disable FIPS. FIPS Error