The installation steps below will ensure you meet the minimal requirements when installing MS SQL Server 2016, 2017, & 2019 for use with Exterro software.
- Only the 7.0 and newer line of AccessData products support MSSQL 2016 & 2017.
- Only the 7.3 and newer line of AccessData products support MSSQL 2019.
- These steps do not cover installing SQL Server Management Studio. That can be installed from the Install SQL Server Management Tools section of the SQL Server Installation Center or from here.
- 32-bit and Express versions of MSSQL are not supported
- Both "Standard" or "Enterprise" editions can be used
- Exterro software requires its own dedicated MSSQL instance
- The service account must be given the sysadmin role in MSSQL, at least during installations and upgrades
- Run the SQL Server Installation Setup executable and wait for the SQL Server Installation Center window to appear.
- Choose the Installation tab and click New SQL Server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation.
- Enter your product key and click Next.
- Accept the License Terms, and click Next.
- When prompted, allow the installer to check for updates.
- On the Feature Selection page, check Database Engine Services and click Next. You can also modify the directories, if desired.
- On the Instance Configuration page, select either Default Instance or Named Instance and click Next.
Note: If using a Named Instance, be sure to remember the name.
- On the Server Configuration page, open the Collation tab and ensure the Database Engine is set to SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI-AS and click Next. You may also change the Service Accounts, if desired.
- On the Database Engine Configuration page, under the Server Configuration tab, select Mixed Mode, enter a password for the SQL system administrator (SA) account, add the domain "service account" as an administrator, and click Next. You can also modify the Data Directories, if desired.
Note: Mixed Mode allows our product's internal SQL users to function. It will also create the "sa" account, which can be disabled but not deleted during Exterro product installation.
- At the Ready to Install page, confirm everything is correct and click Install.
- Wait for the installation to complete and then close Setup.
- Open SQL Server Configuration Manager.
- In the left pane, expand SQL Server Network Configuration.
- Select the Protocols entry for your newly installed SQL instance.
- In the right pane, right-click Named Pipes and click Enable.
- In the left pane, select SQL Server Services.
- In the right pane, right-click the SQL Server service for your newly installed SQL instance and click Restart.
- Configure MSDTC (Microsoft Distributed Transaction Coordinator) as shown here.
Do not install SQL Reporting Service. If you have questions about this, please contact Exterro Support.