How To: Manually install PostgreSQL 11.2 for use with Forensic Tools 7+
Introduction: If a customer is having problems with the AD PostgreSQL 11.2 installer, the following steps can be used to manually install PostgreSQL for use with Forensic Tools.
- Download and install PostgreSQL 11.2 from here.
Notes: At the Select Components dialog, uncheck Stack Builder. When asked where to install the data directory, if possible, select a separate hard drive that has the least amount of I/O traffic (i.e. not your OS drive).
- Open services.msc.
- Stop the postgresql-x64-11 service.
- Navigate to the PostgreSQL data folder and edit the file pg_hba.conf to reflect the following changes (this will allow any IP to connect to PostgreSQL so that the Evidence Processing Engine can connect to the database):
# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD # IPv4 local connections: host all all 127.0.0.1/32 md5 host all all 0.0.0.0/0 md5 # IPv6 local connections: # comment out the below lines if the machine does not support IPv6 host all all ::1/128 md5 host all all fe80::/64 md5
- Start the postgresql-x64-11 service.
- Open regedit.
- Expand HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services.
- Find and right-click the postgresql-x64-11 key and rename it to postgresql-x64-11.2.